Upcoming Training Opportunities
Please be advised these two classes are being rescheduled for 2017
Dustin Forensics is pleased to announce two upcoming training opportunities.
We will be offering the full week of Faro training (Content list shown below) as it applies to CSI and Crash Reconstruction.
The training will be offered in beautiful Fort Meyers FL on the campus of Florida Southwestern State College.
Training dates are:
TBD – Full 5 day Faro Training (limited to 10 students, bring your own computer if you like)
TBD – 3-day advanced Faro Training (limited to 15 students, bring your own computer if you’d like)
Cost per student is $1500 for each segment (if a student registers for both, they’ll receive a $250 discount)
Payment can be made by check or credit card (contact Jennifer Shadburn for details)
Dustin Forensics will provide 11 computers for use in the class.
Training will be done on the latest version of the Faro SCENE software (currently SCENE 6.2)
Classes will run from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM with an hour lunch (students responsibility).
Classes may be extended in hours at the discretion of the instructor if more ground needs to be covered.
Come ready to learn as your instructors (Eric and David Dustin) are notorious for very indepth training.
We have set up convenient methods to register either individual attendees or up to three attendees.
To register one attendee for the 5 Day training click (Link will be updated once the class has been scheduled)
To register two attendees for the 5 Day training click (Link will be updated once the class has been scheduled)
To register three attendees for the 5 Day training click (Link will be updated once the class has been scheduled)
Items covered in the 5-day training (time and student ability dependant):
- What’s in the box
- Scene navigation
- Default file location
- Cover “how the scanner works” theory and measurements
- Things you can and can’t do
- Can scan in the darkness
- Can scan inverted
- Can’t capture color in the dark
- Reference measurements and their importance
- Changing units
- Entering different sphere sizes
- Importing scans manually
- Data storage and what to be prepared for (file sizes)
- Evidence, what can you delete and should you?
- Scanning with targets
- Targeting exercises
- Creating objects (spheres and checkerboards)
- Scanning crime scenes
- Scanning intersections
- Target less registration
- Targeted registration
- Inserting photographs
- Bullet trajectory (with Faro’s Forensic module and also the Lisio/Dustin bullet trajectory plugin)
- Correspondence mode for registration (and troubleshooting when automatic registration fails)
- Side by side correspondence mode for registration (and troubleshooting when automatic registration fails)
- Clusters, their importance and usefulness
- Project point cloud and scan point clouds
- Exporting for CrashZone and Reality
- Filtering (advanced topic, will be covered if time allows)
- Window Scan (high resolution scan of a section)
- Blood Spatter (using the Faro Forensic module, advanced topic, will be covered if time allows)
- Refining the fit, using the scan manager to tighten up scan registration
- Webshare2Go, the number one requested deliverable
- Fly through videos, a very popular deliverable
- Creating viewpoints, used for video flythroughs, but also for a specific witnesses perspective
- Merging scans (as time allows)
- Using the 3D “Space Mouse” to navigate the SCENE software
- Certification test. Friday will be testing day (optional). Students successfully passing the certification test will receive a certification from Faro. All students will receive a certificate from Dustin Forensics
Register for the Advanced Training:
To register 1 attendee for the 3 Day advanced training click (Link will be updated once the class has been scheduled)
To register 2 attendees for the 3 Day advanced training click (Link will be updated once the class has been scheduled)
To register 3 attendees for the 3 Day advanced training click (Link will be updated once the class has been scheduled)
Items covered in the advanced training class:
- Short review to ensure all students are on the same page related to using the scene software
- Project 1 will be a complete homicide scene (actual case) and will include integrating scans captured with a FreeStyle hand scanner
and an X330. A full deliverable will be created, including the creation of a fly through video and a Webshare2Go with embedded crime scene images.
- Project 2 (as time allows) will be advanced registration of an entire 2 story structure inside and around the dwelling.
- Alternative project for Crash Reconstructionists will be the creation of a crash project involving merging of scans from 2 different locations (vehicle scanned in an impound yard and placed at the POI)
- All students will receive a certificate from Dustin Forensics